2019 was my first full calendar year navigating the world of singledom for the first time in a long time. If I'm honest, it was a little scary, a little fun and sometimes a bumpy journey. It was an important year - a year of building new foundations and focussing on the things - and the values - that mean the most to me. This is my year in review - my 10 Lessons Learned in 2019, in chronological order.
1. Know that when times are tough they will get better. They do get better. Sometimes it just takes time. Time to process. Time to heal. Time to move forward.
2. Embrace the things you love. If you’ve found something you’re good at, or care deeply about, make the time to make it happen. Don’t make excuses.
3. Don’t be afraid to love and to make yourself vulnerable. These are the connections that help us grow and become better versions of ourselves.
4. Admit your mistakes, learn from them and move forward. There won’t always be a happy resolution. Life can be messy. That’s just the way it is. Be at peace with any mistakes you’ve made and find comfort in the lessons learned along the way.
5. Be graceful in defeat. It’s more important to be kind than it is to be right.
6. Lean on those close to you when you need them. Just because you can do it all on your own doesn’t mean you should do it all on your own.
7. Life can be gone is an instant. Embrace the world in all its complicated, imperfect magnificence, embrace new opportunities when they come along, and be grateful for all the things you have to be grateful for.
8. Don’t rely on someone else to fill your cup. Fill your own cup and share it with others.
9. Accept your life for what it is, not what you thought it would be. Life doesn’t always fit the mould we imagined when we were younger. That’s not a bad thing.
10. Try new things. Keep striving. Life is good!